Theft or Loss of Departmental Computers

Preemptive Measures

While the best thing you can do to prevent accidental loss of your laptop/table/phone is to simply be careful and keep a firm grasp on it when using it, there are a few things you can do to help prevent it from being stolen.

  • Lock your office whenever you leave, even if you will only be gone for a minute.
  • Keep your valuables in a secure location such as a locked desk, closet or filing cabinet.
  • If you are entrusted with a key to a specific area, never loan it to anyone. Keys can be easily lost, stolen, or duplicated.
  • Immediately report any suspicious person loitering in your building to DPS.
  • Report any broken or flickering lights, dimly lit corridors, doors or windows that don’t lock properly, or broken windows.
  • Report any missing or stolen items immediately.
  • Register your device with DPS:

In the event that you lose a piece of computing equipment such as a laptop or tablet, please follow these steps to get the ball rolling on recovering/replacing the equipment and protecting your data....
  1. Contact LSA IT - Randall to inform us of the loss/theft
  2. Contact DPS to file a police report (will need to be done before the Proof of Loss form in the case of theft)
  3. Change your UofM account password
  4. Fill out this Proof of Loss form:
For loss due to theft or negligence the University is self-insured for replacement but, it is a reimbursement system. You will need to replace the equipment from one of your university accounts and and you will be reimbursed minus a $1000 deductible.

Replacement equipment must be similar to what was lost. No upgrades as a result of the loss except in the case where the original equipment is so obsolete any replacement would be considered an upgrade.

Also, Don't forget....
If you had personal information on the machine and/or you used it to access online accounts (like banking information, Amazon, travel sites, etc.) you will want to change your passwords on all of those sites and, you may want to consider setting up credit monitoring with the 3 credit bureaus just in case someone tries to use your personal information to open fraudulent accounts in your name.

You can do that with many different services but I (Tim Rolston) have had a good experience with the offering from Trans-Union. You can find ore information about their monitoring service here: